Introduction to Fall Mushrooms
by Michael W. Beug Email: email@example.com
The Evergreen State College, Olympia WA
Mushrooms in the Agaricus meleagris/placomyces complex also have a tendency to cause flu-like symptoms in some of the individuals who consume them. The toxin apparently has an unpleasant odor since the mild-smelling variants rarely cause upset while the unpleasant smelling ones cause gastrointestinal distress. Agaricus meleagris often smells like an asphalt roadway after a rain, especially when cooked. If you detect this odor, do not eat the mushrooms. The mushrooms in this photo are probably Agaricus moelleri.