POISONOUS AND HALLUCINOGENIC MUSHROOMS
by Michael W. Beug Email: beugm@evergreen.edu
The Evergreen State College, Olympia WA
Previous Slide Table of Contents Next Slide


Slide 20.
Clitocybe clavipes was long suspected of containing coprine because it produces similar symptoms the Inky Cap if alcohol is consumed within several days of a meal of the mushrooms. However research has not turned up any known toxic agent in Clitocybe clavipes. As with the Inky Caps, poisoning generally only seems to occur if alcohol is consumed after the meal of mushrooms. Alcohol consumed with the meal may not cause any problems. The symptoms of coprine poisoning can show up within 5 to 10 minutes of alcohol consumption if it has been between 30 minutes and several days since the mushrooms were eaten. The symptoms are fullness, throbbing, flushed feeling of the face and neck, rapid pulse, metallic taste, tingling sensation in extremities, and heartbeat irregularities. The poisoning is unpleasant but usually of only one to two hour duration. However, consumption of large amounts of alcohol within a day or two of eating the mushrooms can result in intensified symptoms lasting up to 8 hours accompanied by vertigo, confusion and collapse. Headaches can be intense.
Previous Slide Table of Contents Next Slide