POISONOUS AND HALLUCINOGENIC MUSHROOMS
by Michael W. Beug Email: beugm@evergreen.edu
The Evergreen State College, Olympia WA
Previous Slide Table of Contents Next Slide


Slide 51.
Lepiota or Leucoagaricus naucina is another mushroom with a mixed reputation. It is considered edible and quite good by most people, but some are made ill by it. Others can eat it safely up until the time when they find a really abundant fruiting and eat the mushrooms several times over the course of a week or two and suddenly develop sensitivity. The symptoms are flu-like. In fact, one friend was so confident that Lepiota naucina was a good edible species that it wasn't until the third time that he ate the mushroom and appeared to come down with the flu that he recognized the mushroom connection. There are many perfectly good edible mushrooms that make some people ill but most people eat without any adverse effect. However, there are some mushrooms like this Lepiota naucina that make a disproportionate number of people ill. Also, this mushroom is common in lawns and even choice edible mushrooms should not be collected from golf courses, roadsides, well-kept lawns or other places that may have been sprayed with pesticides or contaminated with heavy metals. Mushrooms readily concentrate both pesticides and heavy metals and can become toxic as a result.
Previous Slide Table of Contents Next Slide