POISONOUS AND HALLUCINOGENIC MUSHROOMS
by Michael W. Beug Email: beugm@evergreen.edu
The Evergreen State College, Olympia WA
Previous Slide Table of Contents Next Slide


Slide 69.
Leccinum discolor and other Orange-capped Leccinum species known collectively as the Leccinum aurantiacum group can cause gastrointestinal symptoms. In addition other Leccinum species with a range of cap colors but that bruise blue or turn dark when cooked have caused upset. Leccinum species have a reputation for being edible and choice and I regularly eat them. However, in Montana and Colorado, and even in the Pacific Northwest, poisoning is not uncommon. Symptoms might not be attributed to these mushrooms because they have such a good reputation as edibles. However, one person's feast is another person's poison. One couple reported eating five cooked Leccinums. In 1 hour the wife was ill with diarrhea. The husband became ill after 3 hours and his wife thought he was going to die. Both recovered in 15 hours. Another man experienced a 4-hour latent period and then vomited for three hours. Seven hours after eating the mushrooms he was vomiting blood. He was too weak to work for two days. There are many similar reports. Illness can last for five days and can include sweating and dry mouth, malaise, headache and dizziness. Consumption of a raw Leccinum is particularly likely to bring on symptoms.
Previous Slide Table of Contents Next Slide