Students looking for a contract sponsor should read this statement.

Students regularly ask me to sponsor them on independent research projects. I usually only work with students that I have had previously in class. I only sponsor students that have sufficient academic background and laboratory skills. This usually means a lot of biological science, chemistry through at least one quarter of organic and hopefully some physics and calculus. Most students that I have worked with at TESC have taken the equivalent of "Molecule to Organism". Many students have previous research experience in a TESC program (e.g., Marine Life or M2O). I also expect that students will have decent writing skills. I do not -sponsor students on independent learning contracts to cover course work that is better learned in a classroom setting.

I routinely sponsor students to work on internships at state agencies (e.g., Departments of Ecology and Fish &Wildlife), Marine Research Organizations (Cascadia Research Collective), and other organizations with environmental science tendencies (tribal fishery offices, marine education camps, etc.). Most students seeking my sponsorship as a faculty advisor on an internship have already made the connection with the organization ahead of time, but occasionally I know of internship opportunities. Some students carry out independent study projects during their internships on topics related to their work experience.

Email me with questions.

Links back to...

Thuesen Home Page